Use of donor sperm is one of the treatment options for couples suffering from infertility due to azoospermia or severe oligozoospermia, and for men who have undergone testicular sperm extraction before with no mature spermatozoa found.
Selection criteria of sperm donors:
- Age >18 and <40 years
- Good health status
- Absence of known genetic abnormalities
- No infertility history (established fertility is desirable but not required)
- Normal semen parameters according to WHO criteria (2010)
- Screening blood test results are acceptable
- Have not donated sperm previously in Hong Kong
Potential sperm donors may need multiple sessions of psychosocial counseling.